Noteworthy Note First:
For an industry (PR) that's supposedly full of a bunch of puerile, solipsistic, flack-spinning imbecilic hucksters trying to infect the world with corporate gobbledygook, the people I've dealt with in this industry, and especially the people mentioned below, are exceptional. Courteous, honest, professional, gracious in the sharing of their time, expertise and information. They're a lot of hard-working, well-intentioned people struggling with and trying to figure out how best to use social media and the SMNR. No Hacks, flacks or hucksters here.
Social Media News and Newsroom Resources Below Include:
- Thought Leaders - Pro & Con
- Tools and Templates
- Social Media News Release articles
- Social Media News Release examples
- Social Media Newsroom examples
I'm sure I missed some folks. Some accidentally on purpose. However, if you have any additions or suggestions, just let me know at email@example.com.
Todd Defren: The originator of the Social Media News Release. Exceptional at creating, engaging and wading through the buzz with courtesy and aplomb. Handles "Richard Craniums" well. Very rarely have I seen a reference to his SMNR, positive or negative, not being followed up with a comment by himself. Provides a lot of thought leadership articles and shares them freely. Check out his templates and articles below
Brian Solis: No one, in my opinion, has been out in front more on this topic. Takes his shots. Brushes them off and keeps at it. Breaks through the clutter. Prolific writer - freely shares a lot of useful and unique information. Checkout his articles below.
Shannon Whitley: Shannon created PRX Builder. It's a simple wizard that walks you through each step in creating an SMNR. Write your content, insert links, add images and video. PRXbuilder is an innovative and useful SMNR tool and service, depending on your distribution needs. Shannon is wonderful to work with. On top of it. Responds to customer questions all times of the night - always helpful.
Adam Parker: CEO of Webitpr.com, a UK company. Their offering is unique. An aggressive young company making waves.
Michael Pranikoff: PR Newswire, Director of Emerging Media. Michael is knowledgeable, helpful, courteous and exceptionally contagious about PR & Social Media. Deep source of knowledge and shares it graciously. A credit to PR Newswire.
Brian Pittman: Brian is the editor of the Journalists Speak Out e-newsletter and Director of Content for PR University. He's the PR and Media Relations version of Charlie Rose. Always interesting and interested. Brian digs and delves into both sides of topics that help PR professionals do their jobs better - in many ways. Objective and skilled at boiling long-winded oratory's into concise, compact and useful information. Check out his weekly column at the Bulldog Reporter.
The people below are a mixture of pro & con on the SMNR.
Good information and thinking on all sides of the SMNR concept.
Don't reinvent the wheel. Check them out.
Their posts might help you consider things that could save you time, money, embarrassment or your job.
- Chris Heuer: Chris Heuer Insytes
- Lee Odden: TopRank Blog
- Tom Foremski: Silicon Valley Watcher
- Shel Holtz: Holtz Communication + Technology
- Dave Fleet: DaveFleet.com
- Maggie Fox: Digital Snippets
- Jeremiah Owyang: Web Strategy by Jeremiah
- Jen McClure: Society for New Communications Research
- Sally Falkow: Expansion+ Proactive
- Geoff Livingston: The Buzz Bin
- Jason Falls: Social Media Explorer
- Constantin Basturea: PR Meets the WWW
- Stephen Davies: Problogger
- Original SMNR Template
- Social Media Release Template, version 1.5
- Handy Beginner's Guide to Online News Media
- Social Media Newsroom Template
- Guide to SEO-Friendly News Releases
- Press Release Grader - Hubspot
- Banish the Boring! - Animoto video resource tool. Disclaimer. I really like this application - and these guys. Super bunch.
- News Wire SMNR Features Comparison -
- Digital Snippets SMNR Template (used at Ford)
- PRX Builder allows anyone to create a multi-media press release (also known as a Social Media Release, or SMR) for free. PRX Builder walks you through each step.
There aren't a lot of SMNR's out there. Cost, complexity, risk, usefulness? Some of the more recent ones have multimedia and social sharing capabilities - but no comments section. Why, if you did the work, bore the costs of distributing a SMNR, would you not use the comments section? Don't understand it. Enabling the comments section is live PR. Live community building. Live customer service. Live product and marketing feedback. Live ... good business sense.
- IBM Tackles Global Energy Crisis
- Blyk Launches "One Stop Shop" Designed for Advertisers and Agencies
- Nuts About Southwest Now Even Nuttier
- Graphics Evolves Beyond Gaming With New NVIDIA Geforce GTX 200 GPUs
- PR Practitioners From Across The World To Gather For World PR Conference & Festival In London
- PR Agency SHIFT Communications Adds Four New Clients in San Francisco
- Are You Smarter Than a... 17th Grader
- Cisco Drives Innovation in Business Video
- We Got the Kaboom - South African SMNR
- Intel Announces Winners of World's Largest Pre-College Science Fair
- Corvette Racing Finishes Second and Third in LeMans
- Adobe Launches Public Beta of Acrobat.com - Check out the linkbacks in this one
- Promethean enables UK and Chinese children to share live-lesson through interactive classroom solutions
- Crash the Super Bowl - Doritos
- Outdated Hospital Registration Process Causes Patient Pain, Dissatisfaction and Revenue Loss
- Dell and Goodwill Launch Free Computer Recycling Service for Consumers in Western New York
- New York VCs and Angels Reveal Funding Secrets for Internet Startups
- IABC Assumes Social Media Release Leadership Role
- Manage Marketing Campaigns on the iPhone
- Coca-Cola- Virtual Thirst
- Belkin Protects Your New iPhone
- Ford - Take Your Pick
- Winter 2008 iTV
- Website Grader Report Reveals Top Bloggers Making Critical SEO Marketing Mistakes
- Graphics Evolves Beyond Gaming With New NVIDIA Geforce GTX 200 GPUs - PR Newswire version.
- Graphics Evolves Beyond Gaming With New NVIDIA Geforce GTX 200 GPUs - on the NVidia corporate website.
- Graphics Evolves Beyond Gaming With New NVIDIA Geforce GTX 200 GPUs - as displayed on MSN
- The Purpose of the Social Media Release - Chris Heur
- Web 2.0 Social Media Video channel is full of useful information - Michael Pranikoff
- Social Media News Release Video - Webitpr.com
- Solar Toaster SMNR - PRWeb